Korean Government Donates $32,000 to Tacoma Public Schools

Hee Koo 11/19/2015 10:49 Read : 1,602

Consul General Duk-ho Moon delivers funding for Korean language education

The Korean government donated $32,000 to Tacoma School District No.10, commonly called Tacoma Public Schools, where several of its schools offer formal Korean language classes as part of their foreign language program.

On November 16th, Consul General Duk-ho Moon visited the event and stated, “I would like to speak on behalf of the Korean government to express our appreciation to Tacoma Public Schools for implementing formal Korean language classes to four of its schools.” He added, “We are hopeful that this Korean education will help students become bilingual citizens in this global age.”

Tacoma Public Schools has been offering Korean classes for 20 years since September 1995, after Sulja Warnick, the board of director for Foundation for Tacoma Students, first started teaching Korean at Baker Middle School. Now, three additional schools have joined to teach Korean as a foreign language.

Today, three Korean teachers, including Kyoung-sun Cho, the former principal of the United Seattle-Bellevue Korean School, are teaching Korean at the following schools: Baker Middle School, Giaudrone Middle School, Mount Tahoma High School and Henry Foss High School.

Carla Santorno, the current superintendent of Tacoma Public Schools, expressed her gratitude by saying, “I deeply thank the Korean government for providing this great support for the Korean education program for our students”. As she handed the appreciation plaque to Consul General Moon, she added, “I myself have recently visited Korea, and our annual student exchange program is providing students with wonderful opportunities abroad through the joint effort of Tacoma Public Schools and the Korean Board of Education.”

Seattle Consul General of Korea Duk-ho Moon, Board of Director for the Foundation for Tacoma Students Sulja Yi Warnick, and Korean instructor Kyoung-sun Cho attended the event.

크기변환-NIMG_0070.JPG

크기변환-NIMG_0041.JPG

크기변환-NIMG_0040 (1).JPG

크기변환-NIMG_0037.JPG

238 Articles Found /13 Page

Copyright © HHB Media LLC All rights reserved.