100-year-old lovebirds: Pickford shows one time screening of South Korean documentary

KnewsN 08/17/2016 09:20 Read : 2,961
On August 18, the Pickford Film Center will have a one time showing of an intimate documentary about love, death and family. My Love, Don’t Cross That River follows the “100-year-old lovebirds” 98-year-old Byeong-man Jo and 89-year-old Gye-Yeol Kang throughout their daily lives in a mountain village in South Korea. We meet the adorable couple as they prepare for the next chapter of their lives, after 75 years of inseparable kinship.

Come prepared with a pack of Kleenex in tow as My Love, Don’t Cross That River will leave you both laughing and crying. The initial scenes filter through the seasons, showing the playful couple tossing snow and leaves at each other and next a springtime water fight. Though the film is not always so lighthearted, these scenes give a quick glance of just how in love the characters are.

Directed by Jin Mo-Young, who is a veteran to documentary filmmaking, My Love, Don’t Cross That River made its debut in South Korea in 2014 and was praised as South Korea’s most successful independent film ever. It also saw success at multiple international film festivals, receiving awards for best independent film and documentary award and nominations for best film and best director.

Join us at the Pickford Film Center on Thursday, August 18 at 6:30 for a one time showing of this heart tugging film. Stop by earlier at 6:00 for pre-screening reception including light snacks and traditional Korean tea! This beautifully filmed documentary approaches love, the inevitability of death and family in a way that is so intimate and sentimental you’ll leave feeling heart-warmed and heart-wrenched.

About Pickford Film Center

Founded in 1998 by a group of movie lovers with a desire to keep independent cinema alive in Bellingham, Pickford Film Center is the nonprofit organization that runs two art house cinemas downtown: Pickford Film Center and the Limelight Cinema - the region’s only independent movie theaters. In addition, PFC produces a wealth of film related programming and events for all ages year-round.

238 Articles Found /8 Page

Meat-Lovers Paradise!
   11/17/2016  

Clash of Cultures 2016
   11/14/2016  

Copyright © HHB Media LLC All rights reserved.