[K-Trend x YouTube] Rising of K-beauty

Saehee Hong 12/07/2015 19:53 Read : 1,739

Kyung Sun started her YouTube channel in October 2014. She has a variety of videos including tutorials on skincare, makeup, and others generally regarding K-beauty. She has around two hundred fifty thousand subscribers and gained 13 million video views in just a year and half of her career. She records her videos in Koreans, but most of videos include English captions for non-Korean speakers. We spoke to Kyung Sun about her YouTube adventure so far and her future plans. 

1) Please briefly introduce yourself.

- Hello, my name is Kyung Sun. I am a YouTube video creator and I share everything I know about beauty through my videos.

2) How did you start creating videos on YouTube?

- Honestly, I was just really bored when I decided to upload my video late at night. I was always very interested in beauty and make up but have never done anything beyond that. Then suddenly, I became bored at dawn and decided to upload a video on YouTube with a topic that I was most confident in, which was beauty.

3) You introduce a variety of makeup products in your videos. What kinds of effort did it take to become a credible YouTuber? Were there any difficulties?

- Like I have said before, I did not have any difficulties or concerns starting. I didn't even have a tripod, so I stacked up paper cups and placed the camera on top to record. But as time went by, I wanted to share the exact color formation of the products and give a fair review for subscribers. So I began to pay closer attention to the lighting and other details. And because makeup products vary significantly depending on the person that is using it, I try to use the product for a good amount of time and try to give as neutral perspective of the product as possible.

4) What is an inexpensive Korean product that you would like to recommend to subscribers in the U.S.?

- I would say that Korea is known for their eye shadows. Most Korean brands have over 100 shades of colors. They must have thought that one of these shades must be in one's favor. Whatever shades of color you wish to find - you will find it!

5) What is the video that you like the most, or the video that was the most popular?

- It is difficult to just pick out one video, but I really enjoyed videos that were made spontaneously without editing or dubbing. Moments where I stumbled over my words, or where I dropped the cosmetics accidentally were caught on camera. I like these ordinary, natural moments because I feel like it is a way to show my true personality and become more friendly with viewers. For example, this is a video I really liked! (https://youtu.be/KbToVOnw1B0)

6) What are your thoughts on the popularization of K-beauty outside of Korea? And what do you think are the weaknesses of Korean beauty products compared to other foreign companies' products?

- I think that Korean makeup products have an awesome quality, but in my opinion, I think it lacks bold shades of colors. Like I have mentioned before, the Korean shadows have many shades of colors, but they are more focused on the natural shades than drastic colors. Personally, I like dark and distinctive makeup that stands out, so I would appreciate more colors of lipstick and eye shadows that are extraordinary and peculiar.

7) Do you have any YouTuber that you personally enjoy watching?

- Because I love makeup the most, I enjoy watching "NikkieTutorials" on YouTube. I love her makeup style and every time I watch her videos I sense that she is really into makeup and different types of beauty supplies.

8) What are your plans as a self-videographer?

- The advantage of being a self-videographer is that I can distinguish myself in different forms to the audience. I want to be loved by my subscribers by showcasing my originality and unique side. And also, I want to enhance my video qualities to repay to the subscribers that watch and like me. The two goals that I have as a YouTuber is that I will be able to continue communicating with my subscribers even after marrying and having kids, and to become more knowledgeable in beauty so I that can have a more professional insight and opinion.

9) Lastly, please say a word to the Koreans in Seattle and other people who are watching your videos.

- Hello, readers and viewers in Seattle! I am happy to have this opportunity to briefly share my thoughts and goals as a YouTuber. I will continue to work hard, please continue to support me!!

To Visit: https://www.youtube.com/user/kyungsunxoxo

238 Articles Found /12 Page

Copyright © HHB Media LLC All rights reserved.