Bellevue High Shool Student Cho Soo-yeon Wins Speech Contest

Hee Koo 12/11/2015 16:24 Read : 1,676

Also a recipient of the 2014 Korean Writing Contest hosted by SeattleN

Awarded by Veterans of Foreign Wars, Cho becomes a two-time recipient

Cho Soo-yeon (Eng name: Cindy Cho), a Korean student attending Bellevue High School won first prize in a speech contest hosted by the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW). She was also the winner of the <1st Annual Korean Writing Contest> hosted by SeattleN in 2014.

Cho submitted her 3-minute long recorded speech with this year’s theme, ‘My Vision for America’, for the contest and came first among high school students from Washington’s 11th legislative district, which encompasses 17 cities in the King County region.

Commander Greg Green stated, “It is highly unusual for us to award the same recipient two years in a row. All 10 judges arrived at a consensus after a long discussion.”

Narrowly surpassing the runner-up by a mere 4 points, Cho stated, “It is quite fascinating to express my opinions through words and speeches and I strive to continue to challenge myself through similar opportunities”.

As the winner of the local region, Cho’s writing and recorded speech has been submitted to Walla Walla for the statewide competition taking place on January 16th, where the winner will be selected to participate at a national level. The winner of this statewide contest will receive funding to participate at the event in Washington D.C., together with a scholarship of $30,000.

Cho has also been awarded first prize at the Korean Speech Contest hosted by KOAM TV, and is a student journalist for Bellevue High School Daily Bulletin, a school newspaper.

Hosted since 1947, the Voice of Democracy Audio-Essay Competition today offers more than $2 million in scholarships and incentives to selected students from a pool of about 40,000 high school students each year. Students compete by writing and recording an audio essay on an annual patriotic theme.

Cho’s elder sister, Cho Soo-bin, won the Washington State Congressional Art Competition in the past and is attending the prestigious Cooper Union on a full scholarship.

크변조수연 양 시상사진1.jpg

238 Articles Found /12 Page

Copyright © HHB Media LLC All rights reserved.